-March 26 2010-
The VIU Community Peace Garden is putting out a challenge to the VIU campus community. We would like to raise 20 yards of soil to create a beautiful growing space for the coming gardening season. We are asking that faculty and students to contribute dollars that we will turn into soily goodness.
The contributions look like this:
$12.50 for 1/4 yard
$25.00 for 1/2 yard
$50.00 for 1 yard
The soil will be used to
1) Fill our Wheelchair accessible raised beds
2) Create a food forest on the western slope of the project
3) Plant the orchard on the north edge of the project (Greenthumb Nursery donate six fruit trees)
We will be having a table set up in the library (or outside) on March 29th, 2010 from 10 -2 or contact us at email@example.com
Thank you for your support
PS. Although we are having a table on the 29th…one could make a donation at any time in any city…we will work out how to receive the contribution. Thank you!
-Jan 19 2010-
Solutions Meeting and Focus Group
Each week we will be having a Community Garden Focus Group…discussing what’s happening and recording ideas.
Meetings are Tuesday at 4pm Arbutus Rm
We have a Working Group each Monday at 10:30 in the library where we update what has happened over the last week
What we are preparing to do this semester
raised bed installations
deck planning/installation: in the process of being designed (design to be completed in the next month)
2 workshops/2 speakers
Lunchtime speakers vs. evening speakers= EVENING ( lunchtime is too busy)
Interest in “hands-on” workshops
Open food, walk and pick situation in garden
More exposure of club and project
Challenge all faculties to donate one yard of soil: Share Cost is willing to hold soil until needed
Cinnabar Farms: possible donations ( Nelson)
Comparison of prices (Angel)
Possible Local Food Dinner (May?)
-food purchased from Bowen Rd. Farmers Market
-enlist 2 Culinary Arts students to be our chefs
Recruiting Future Garden Coordinators
-Sept 22 2009-
Look out for these up and coming workshops!
Cob bench; a few finishing touches to be added to our cob bench
Winter gardening; kale, garlic etc… PLUS a fig and hazelnut tree to be planted.
Mushroom inoculation; mushrooms spores “planted” in tree stumps
Workshop dates and other particulars have yet to be confirmed BUT check back for updates. Ads will be posted around campus.
-Sept 18th 2009-
Welcome Back Everyone!
Here’s what’s new and ongoing in the garden!
- The Rick Hansen Foundation grant is on its way
- Deltalock will be sending an estimate based on a new drawing of the retaining wall. This estimate will be used as a template for another grant proposal from TD Canada Trust
- Pathway installation is once again progressing. We were presented with a few setbacks in the summer (i.e. retaining wall installation) but completion will hopefully be shortly underway.
- A member of the forestry department has been contacted in order to schedule a possible meeting in hopes of obtaining cedar from the woodlot.
- Contact has been made with the International Student Activity coordinator.
- Contact has been made with Disability Services
- Sign installation will be complete by the end of next week.
- We are becoming a club! A table will be set up on club day (Sept 23rd, 11-1)
If anyone has any ideas they would like to contribute, feel free to email us!